Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Unmarketable Skills

I learned Monday morning that I didn't get a job I interviewed for last week.

This time it was different. I know everyone who works in the organization, where I am a member and volunteer. After I emailed my application, the executive director responded within an hour. She said she thought I "possess great skills in the outreach and policy arena" and wanted to make sure I knew the position was part-time and more of a "back-office" job. I assured her that I was aware of the details and still interested in the position. We set up an interview.

I went in last Monday, nervous but optimistic. We talked for the better part of an hour, and I left feeling good about my chances.

My daughter had time off this week, and I have been helping her with projects. I was at her house when I got a phone message from the executive director that she wanted to follow-up about the position. I was still optimistic when I called her back. She wanted me to know that she hired someone else, someone with fund-raising experience, a qualification that wasn't part of the original job description.

I just wanted to get off the phone. I thanked her for calling. She went on to say she respects my work and my skills, and she would be willing to serve as a reference. I need a job, not a reference, but I didn't say that. I thanked her again for calling.

I said to my daughter that if I can't get a job with someone who knows me and respects my work, I don't know what I'm going to do.

My daughter said there are things I can do. She started with my ability to raise children who are self-assured, responsible, and able to do anything they put their minds to. I added that I can clean, de-clutter, and organize any room in a house, or the entire house. I can use the phone to find anything you need to know. I can strike up a conversation with anyone I meet. I listen, facilitate, and know how to carry out an agenda. I can compromise and don't need to be right. I can see both sides of an issue.

Those are just some of my unmarketable skills. I am a seamstress and a cook. I am an expert at laundry. I can paint any surface inside or outside. I shovel snow, rake leaves, and dig in the garden. I pay bills on time, do taxes, and organize finances...

Although my new financial advisor has been laid off. I emailed her to wish her luck in her job search. She emailed me back with the same and an ad for an organization she has mentioned to me before. At this point I have adapted so many resumes and written so many letters that it takes no time at all to apply for a job. This is not a desirable place to be for anyone who really wants to be working.

My daughter said that, for her, I put the possible back in possibility. For me, getting a job feels impossible right now.

The past two days I have come home in the early evening to walk on the treadmill, watch the news, pet Leo, heat up leftovers, drink a glass of red wine, take a shower, make a cup of coffee, and climb into bed at 8:00 to watch a movie on my laptop.

The ability to follow a routine, yet another unmarketable skill....

11 comments:

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Dear Sharon,
I am sorry you did not get the job. Unmarketable skills? That is really food for thought. Yet, I know many woman whose zest for life, the conscientious way in which they live, and their gift for enlivening the lives of others is commendable, important for us all. You are evidently one of those. I hope upon hope that there is a market for being loving and kind. :-) Perhaps in a civic organization, not-for- profit, church, women's agency, children's organization, social service agency? All need people like you.

I do hope that something "just right" shows up for you soon. With intention and prayer, let's hope that happens. May I put your name on my prayer altar? Count me in as a member of your support team.

Sending blessings of inner peace to you.

Anonymous said...

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
~ Chinese Proverb

My dear friend -- You are blessed with an abundance of extraordinary skills. Continue to be open minded as you explore options for the right arena in which to market them. Holding you in the Light.

CaShThoMa said...

It's really tough out there to land a job; everywhere. My husband finished law school last year and searched for 6 months, racking up dozens of rejection letters and feeling worse and worse about himself all the time. He's lucky to be working a very part-time job in 2009. None of this would have been like this 5 years ago; even 2 years ago.

I'm sorry and hope you'll persevere. There's a job out there for you. But, I hear the frustration in your words.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that anyone has the right skills now a days. You just had the bad luck that someone with a tad more experience edged you out. It happens. I had an English job all but sewed up once to have it slip away to another candidate who just happened to have a language minor they school decided they could exploit at the last minute.

Something will turn up.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to job seek- you feel so vulnerable and under scrutiny! Why don't you sit down with that woman and have a real talk with her- she should've spoken to you in person if you are someone she knows for pete's sake(in my opinion). You will find your niche I'm sure.Spread your net widely since, obviously, job descriptions can be adjusted!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, you must feel sad. Yet you do have skills, and I believe you'll find something once the economy starts turning around. As someone who struggled to find a writing job during an earlier downturn and got laid off two years later, I feel for you.(I actually wound up with a better job after the layoff!) Please try NOT to take personally that you didn't get this job. These are seriously TOUGH times to get a job. I firmly believe there is a job out there for you. Please don't equate your self-esteem with paid employment. You are much more than what you do for hire!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
I feel your disappointment and frustration, and know how difficult this job search has been. As so many others have wisely said, keep "spreading your net wide" and don't give up. At times like this, it's probably of little consolation to know that so many other people are fighting the same hard luck.

Sadly, so many people are out of work that competition is tighter for the few jobs available. But please keep the faith. The right door will open for you, my friend!

Only the Half of It said...

UG! Sorry to hear you didn't get the job but often something better or more appropriate takes its place. I didn't get a freelance gig that, admittedly, I was dubious about. But when I didn't get it, of course I really wanted it and felt bad. Happens to us all. In a way, this crazy economic time can be a good time to make a fresh start. Good luck.:-)

WomenBloom said...

Sweet Sharon,

I'm sorry, I can hear the frustration and disappointment. Just remember, the economy is just difficult right now, that isn't anything you're doing 'wrong', it just is the way it is. A friend of mine, very bright, a PhD, experienced, went through a bad patch for 2 or 3 years having a hard time finding a job. She couldn't find anything in non-profits, private sector, associations, anything. It was so frustrating for her. But, eventually the PERFECT job came along for her. She is thriving somewhere that is a great match for her skills, she is supported and respected, and she is advancing...so, hang in there. The right thing will come along and in the meantime keep up your volunteer work, ask the ED what you can do to expand your skills, and know the right thing will come to you.

Sending positive vibes your way,
Allison

Anonymous said...

There's always a way through. Speaking as someone who's been there, there is a place in the world for you, things you have to offer the world, and the right places and ways to give it. Sometimes you can't see it until you're right on top of it, but it's there, always.

Palymama said...

I'll never forget a man I interviewed with (who was my age) telling me, "you have too much life experience!" Not too hard to figure out what he meant by that. Keep persevering, we're all rooting for you1!