Saturday, February 14, 2009

Project Bookcase

Thank you everyone for the birthday greetings. It's never too late! That was the only day last week that I didn't work on Project Bookcase. Yesterday I finished. This is the bookcase in the den before ~

These books still needed a home, and I found more after I took the photo ~

Ta Da! Sorry for the blurriness but I didn't realize it was this bad until I got home and put the photos on the computer. You'll get the idea.
The left side has medical texts on the bottom shelf
and non-fiction on the shelves above ~


The right side has medical
texts on the bottom shelf and
fiction on the shelves above ~





The long, low
bookcase holds children's books ~
Knitting books have their own bookcase in the living room ~

Books should not live their lives on shelves. They are meant to be enjoyed, their covers touched and pages turned. This project gives each book a home base, a place they know they can return to. *Who knows what will happen to this photo arrangement when I push "publish."

8 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Nice job! I'm inspired to get my library of books organized. What I've always dreamed of having in my home one day is a small library with walls covered in shelves and a cozy chair in the middle. Maybe someday....

My sister at wwww.rockbridgetimes.blogspot.com has just this....she designed it from scratch and it is such an inviting space.

Kristen said...

WOW!!! It looks amazing! (like there might be a system...) Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(written on my palm @ lunch - I couldn't wait!)

Anonymous said...

Impressive and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Aren't books wonderful?

Anonymous said...

I love books and bookshelves. My H. is always trying to get me to give them away but I tell him never.They are my friends. Great job there Sharon!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Wonderful! What fun you must have had, Sharon. I long for the day for a whole room of built in bookcases. My father made a beauty (cherry) for me before he died and it is my treasure....I adore books. Love to just hold them in my hands and "feel" their beauty and the beauty of the author's heart that beats within the pages. You, too, I bet. :-)
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
You've inspired me to keep going. This week my husband and I were working on the bathrooms; he repainted two. I've been using the painting project as an opportunity to pitch and purge bathroom storage. (Meanwhile, our kitchen ceiling leaked; another story.) Now I've got to move on to the bookshelves. You can only imagine how many books we have here -- art books, writing books, novels ... we could open a store. Can we hire you to organize our shelves :-)

Anonymous said...

You have inspired a healthy case of organized-books envy in all of us. What a sense of accomplishment! Kudos.