Friday, May 8, 2009

Career Exploration Summary

The Career Exploration Workshops ended a few weeks ago. I have been gathering my thoughts about the process in hopes that some insight, some small kernel of wisdom, would emerge to give me a clue as to what to do next.

I had reasons to be optimistic. The workshops where we explored our personal values and interests gave me food for thought.

The third week we used laptops to visit a variety of sites that listed job openings. The good news for me was that I hadn't inadvertently left any rock unturned; the bad news was that I didn't find anything new.

I didn't attend the fourth week because the class was about education and training. Going back to school is my default position. At this point I need some experience before I return to the classroom as a student.

The final week was intended to give people time to set short-term and long-term goals. I felt like I knew more about what was important to me personally. However, the type of work I want to do is the same and how I go about finding a job is pretty much the same, too. It was hard to sit in a room where people were talking about going back to school because they now know what they want to do. I am past that point.

There was still one thing I wanted to do. The organization that sponsored the workshops celebrated thirty years in 2008. In honor of that milestone a brochure was printed that features the stories of thirty women who have participated in the programs offered. Many have gone on to start their own businesses. Some changed careers. Each story is unique to the individual as they found their way to do what they really want to do.

One story in particular caught my interest, and yesterday I had the opportunity to talk to a woman who is doing the type of work that interests me. Years ago, after she attended the Career Exploration Workshops, she thought she might like to do a different kind of work, and she had in mind the type of job she would like to have. A few months later that job was advertised in the local paper. She applied, got an interview, and was hired. Eleven years later she is an associate director in one of the divisions in the organization, and she loves the work.

Our conversation renewed my optimism that I will find a job when the time is right. We talked about how working with others, thinking outside the box, and understanding how to work within a system can be part of many different kinds of jobs. She mentioned how being an administrator entails all of those things, something that came up when I was exploring my interests. She gave me good advice about my cover letter and how to respond to questions during an interview. We talked about the benefit of having an open mind, a wide view, and patience.

I will continue my search for a job. In the meantime I will say "yes" when other opportunities present themselves. The journey continues....

3 comments:

Allison said...

Another story to give you some reassurance...a good friend of mine, very very bright, very good at what she does just went through a bad patch on the job front. Landed in a couple where her talents were not recognized or appreciated. After a lot of angst, she left those, was discouraged because she couldn't even get interviews. And, then, she landed a job that is PERFECT for her, she's gotten a promotion and two hefty raises in the year plus a little she's been there. And her talents are acknowledged and appreciated.

So don't give up hope, the right thing hasn't yet come along. Keep at it!

Joanne said...

It sounds like you were ahead of the curve for much of the workshop. Still there's nothing like talking to someone who's been there, who's walked your path. I make it a point to listen to writers when they make the local college or library circuit, to hear about the roads they travelled to get to the place they're now at. There's always something to be gleaned from another's experience, some wisdom, or hope, that will help us along. I like your attitude, and feel the same way about my writing one ... the journey continues.

cindyscoffeehouse said...

Sharon, I'm also in a transition time. I continue to write, even when I don't get paid, because I love to write. It's in my DNA. I am also taking classes (one class per term except for the summer) at our local community college. I'm enjoying the challenge of the classes and rubbing elbows with younger people as well as many people my age who are also returning to the classroom.

But I feel that you will truly find the right position for myself when the time is right!