Thursday, May 14, 2009

Plant Sale

Thank you, friends, for your support.
It means more than I can say.
It helps to stay busy. In January my book club friends invited me to join the Friends of the Library committee. Several weeks ago I made a commitment to help with the library plant sale, the proceeds of which provide half of the operating budget. This is the 36th year of the sale, and I had heard that it was a big event. I had no idea how big. In mid-April women started digging up and potting perennials intended for the sale, which is held in the town hall. Three days before the sale the potted plants are brought to town hall in trucks and trailers. One truckload ~


after another~

after another is delivered to town hall as trucks make repeated trips to local gardens ~

The side yard is designated for trees, bushes, and shrubs ~

while plants of all kinds fill long tables inside ~

along the back wall ~

and along both side walls ~
The whole operation depends on many volunteers. Yesterday I unloaded trucks and trailers. Today I labeled and priced plants. Tomorrow I will help unload a delivery of vegetable plants and annuals from a local greenhouse. Before the Saturday sale an inventory is made so we know how many plants we have to start, and a count will be kept so we know how many are sold. Records are kept each year to plan for the next year. I have no doubt that the women in charge of this event could run a small country.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

oh. my. goodness.

I had *no idea* that's what you meant when you said "plant sale."

Should I give you a list and a budget so I can catch up this season? I took a good look at the front flower beds and there is work to be done there...

:)

Joanne said...

Wow, I'm sure they could run a country. What an impressive operation, I've never seen a plant sale of this magnitude. They could raise even more $$ by publishing a booklet on their methods of success for other garden clubs. Good luck at the sale!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to live in your community. Sounds like you have some amazing neighbors and friends there. And I'm envious of this plant sale!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

This is so fun, Sharon. Wish I could be there to participate. I do love meandering through nurseries and dreaming and planning. I hope you enjoy your time!

Kitty said...

Look at all those wonderful plants. That looks like so much fun. :)

MMH said...

This sale is a big deal and I love that the plants come from neighbors gardens. They should feel right at home in an adjacent garden.