Monday, May 4, 2009

Coming And Going

My daughter is home from New Hampshire. She is exhausted, and life is in a jumble. There are two months left in her second year of residency, but the finish line feels far off in this marathon. There is little I can do to help. I can remind her, as Christopher Robin said to Pooh, "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." I would add, your life is a miracle, and you are a gift to your patients. Hold tight to the dream, ask for help when you need it, and remember to breathe.

As one arrives, another one departs....

My youngest son has returned to Boston to start summer classes. He had less than two weeks between semester finals and the start of the summer session, which is required this year and next so he can get all the classes he needs. Northeastern is known for their co-op requirements, which in his case is three six-month paid internships in his field of civil engineering.

Last year he was able to find a co-op in Maine that started in May and ran through December. I enjoyed him being home because I knew he would probably look for a position in Boston this year. The job he secured starts July 1 with a firm in Boston that specializes in bridges, which is a particular interest of his. He did well to get everything lined up as early as he did. It will be a good experience.

I will savor the times I see my children this spring and summer. As time goes on, their lives will only get busier as commitments pull them in different directions.

5 comments:

Elaine said...

My guess is that your children also savor the time they spend at home, clearly a safe haven for them to recharge their batteries.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Elaine's comment! Sounds like you have a great relationship with your kids, and that they enjoy their time with you.

Joanne said...

It sounds like wherever you are, will always be home. The place they keep returning to, the place to just "be." That's what matters. Home.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

How wonderful that you can keep parenting in perspective, savor when you can, advise when you can, and just BE when you can. An art, for sure!

cindyscoffeehouse said...

Sharon, your quote from the Pooh saga is one of my favorites! I bet your kids enjoy "regrounding" themselves at home with you as much as you enjoy being with them.