Sunday, May 31, 2009

Beauties Among The Boulders

There is much to do to tame our property, with the goal to honor the natural, woodsy setting. This week I took photos of two small, low to the ground, surprise finds. Both are native to our spot in the woods.

The first is a jack-in-the-pulpit, which you have to look carefully to find among the ferns ~

The second is a lady slipper, which appeared in clay soil amidst rocks, sticks, and leaves. As far as I can tell from the sources I found, this particular color is not rare or protected ~
With surprises such as these, I have renewed energy to continue with the work that needs to be done.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful-what treasures. Hostas and bloodroot like the edges of the woods too!

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful-what treasures. Hostas and bloodroot like the edges of the woods too!

Anonymous said...

Oops! SOrry- double trouble!

Joanne said...

Mother Nature - she never ceases to surprise us. Finds like these, and any surprising good tokens and ideas and things, are such motivation to keep going, exploring, pressing on.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am envious! I've tried to keep a few wildflowers going in my garden, but haven't had as much luck, though my Solomon's Seal do come back. I tried trillium and once had a precious Jack in the pulpit, but can't find 'em this year...

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Lovely! Right now I am enjoying the first lilies of the valley. I love their fragrance. Their scent was the first perfume I wore as a young girl. Enjoy your special gardening time. It certainly does soothe the soul.

Putting the pieces together... said...

I'm jealous you have a pink lady's slipper in your backyard. Growing up in NH, I was always told they were rare, and only ever saw one in the woods near my grandparents camp, and severely warned not to pick it! But then again, I lived in the big city, so I wouldn't normally come into contact with them anyway - so my first reaction to your photo, was to correct you that they were rare, but then I found this: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nh/state/main/lslipper.html plus, the ME DEP page notes they are the most common orchid in ME - go figure. But cool nonetheless! Congrats!