Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Keeping Time

Finally. After two years and ten months of trips back and forth to the clockmaker's shop, this clock appears to be keeping time ~


We made the trip to Camden last August to take both of our antique clocks back in to be worked on. We explained in great detail what each clock was doing. I left an outlined list so the information wouldn't be forgotten. I spoke specifically with the clockmaker and learned that his adult daughter had started working in the shop with him. I asked that they allow both clocks to run for at least four weeks after repairs to see if the problems were fixed.

We returned to collect our clocks in late December. We were reassured that both clocks were running properly.

At home we set the time and started each clock. Uh oh. The door on the front of the Ansonia, pictured above, would not click closed. The movement was positioned too far forward and the pin that holds the hands was hitting the glass door. We started it anyway to see if it would keep time. That clock has been keeping the correct time and chime schedule.

The other clock, a Seth Thomas tambor-style mantel clock, kept time and chimes for two weeks. Then the chimes went astray, completely forgetting that they were part of a team, and developed a routine that followed no rhyme or reason.

I called the clockmaker. I spoke to his daughter. The work on the clocks continues to be guaranteed, which is why we repeatedly travel the distance to have them worked on. Bring them in when you can, she said. I want the door on the Ansonia fixed so I can bring it home with me, I said, so I will call ahead and come when your father can look at it and I will, again, leave the Seth Thomas for adjustment.

So two weeks ago I made the trek to the clockmaker's shop. The daughter did not see the problem with the door, but the clockmaker did. He fixed the Ansonia while I waited. I explained in detail, again, the problem with the Seth Thomas. He said that sometimes these things happen.


Then I asked him if he ever met clockmakers from other parts of the country. It had occurred to me that maybe he met my father years ago. He said no, that he meets colleagues from Maine but rarely from elsewhere. I explained that my father was an amateur clockmaker who kept both clocks in good repair until he died, but he didn't recognize my father's name. We've had trouble with the clocks since we moved, and I joked that the thought crossed my mind that the karma in the house wasn't good for the clocks. The clockmaker said that's not the first time he's heard that.

In any event, he will set the Seth Thomas, keep it wound, and watch it for the next few weeks.

I continue to wonder why the simple task of getting two clocks to work has turned into such a monumental undertaking. I wonder what the lesson is and who is supposed to learn it. I lose my patience and put the problem away for a time. Then I have the thought that I need to follow up and see this project through. For some reason the issue is not resolved, the case is not closed. I review the details and evaluate the process. I ask questions and listen for answers. Something is not finished.

At this moment one clock is keeping time and chiming on cue. Maybe if I put it down in words it will remain to be true. Knock wood and fingers crossed....

5 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Clocks. Sigh.
I have a grandfather clock that constantly runs fast. I keep it around just because it looks good and sounds nice, ticking away.

Good luck.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Antique clocks are wonderful. I love them and have had a few in my day. What struck me most was what you said toward the end, not about clocks, but your process of "hoping." "Maybe if I put it down in words, it will remain to be true." What a beautiful thought, really. I love how you said that and it's making me think...

Anonymous said...

Another sigh from an antique clock owner! Do they ever run right? Ours has a calendar too. In a small town you do have to travel far for repairs. Sounds like you come by your interest genetically anyway!

Elaine said...

My immediate thought was that your antique clocks were actually HELPING you with their ongoing need for repair. Helping you maintain a connection at some deep level to your father and his love for clocks.

Don't know if it's true, but that perspective illustrates how your attentive care to the clocks is literally a labor of love.

MMH said...

Love this post. Love old clocks, yet have not one. The idea of ticking time in an elaborate wooden box is so intriguing. Nostalgic. Takes one back to childhood, perhaps.