Sunday, June 22, 2008

April and Bernice

I saw a good movie yesterday, Then She Found Me. *I will only write about one interaction in the fourth paragraph* A friend went with me, which was a special treat. We went to the local independent theater where you can buy a cup of coffee or a Nantucket Iced Tea on the way in. There is one cinema, with a few comfy couches down front where you could sink in and could fall asleep if you're not careful. We chose to sit in the old-fashioned theater seats, and the place wasn't busy so we had a whole row to ourselves.

I had seen Helen Hunt, writer/director/actress for this movie, promote the film on talk shows. I'm always intrigued when someone says they spent ten years getting a movie made. That's like two and a half presidential terms. Ten years is a long time. Plus, I like Helen Hunt, so I wanted to see this movie.

Now here is where things can fall apart. I want to see a lot of movies. For one reason or another I often get waylaid, i.e. the movie doesn't come to our area; the movie only stays a week; Ken doesn't want to see it and I don't want to go alone; Ken does want to see it but I want to go alone; I don't want to spend the money; or I get lazy and say I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. This means that I miss seeing a lot of movies in the theater. Often times it's my own fault, so I'm working on that. I didn't want to miss this movie so I made a date with myself for the first Saturday it hit the local theater.

The movie did not disappoint. Helen Hunt is the type of actress that I can relate to ~ she looks and talks and acts like a real person, someone I might actually know. Some of the relationships in this movie are more developed than others, and most are believable. There was one scene with Helen Hunt and Bette Midler that struck a chord with me. I won't give away the details, but at one point one woman knows that something is terribly wrong for the other and wants to know what it is. She won't let go of the idea that something is not right and makes it clear she cares enough to stay and listen. That truly is a gift - to have someone who knows you well enough to ask what's wrong and who cares enough to stay around to hear the answer.

Yep, I really need to see more movies in the theater....

No comments: