Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Scent of Sunshine

Sheets drying on the line for the first time this year ~

There is nothing better than climbing into a bed made with sheets that have been dried in the sunshine.

At our old house I had four lines outside where I hung laundry from April through October. In the basement I had lines everywhere there was room and could hang laundry when the weather outside was disagreeable. We bought a dryer when I was pregant with my youngest son, and it was such a luxury that I rarely used it for more than socks, underwear, and towels. Oh, and cloth diapers, which I used for all my children because they were better for our bank account.

Here, I hang most of our clothes inside to dry. We rigged a retractable line in the laundry room, and I have two drying racks. Air drying still saves money and also extends the life of clothes, which is a plus for this woman who rarely enjoys shopping for new threads.

Once I start hanging sheets outside for the season I am committed until the snow flies. I am addicted to the crisp feel and clean scent of sheets dried in the sunshine. My daughter turned me on to the idea of washing and hanging out all our sheets before the freezing temperatures arrive so we can enjoy the scent of sunshine for a few more weeks. Right now we are on the front end of summer weather, and I anticipate many nights of sunshine-induced dreams.

No comments: