Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My New Team

Forget about it taking a while for me to feel at home on the 50-something moms team. They picked up my option and I'm staying. My second post is up this morning, and I feel like a little kid who just learned how to play catch. Readers posted comments on my first article and I appreciated every one. I like having the opportunity to connect with women around the country and have enjoyed visiting other women's blogs. There's a lot going on out there in the world of weblogging.

Lately I have been thinking, too much for someone who is trying to stay present, about where I fit and why it matters to me so much. It's because connection and conversation change the way I feel about my life. After a long talk with a good friend I feel energized. I feel that when I talk on the phone to a friend from away. I felt that way this past week-end when I had the chance to see people I haven't seen in awhile and we had a chance to catch up.

The hard part is finding people who want to share ideas, which is why I love to go back to school. When I take classes I find people who are interested in and want to talk about the same things. My frustration as a teacher was how hard it was to find other teachers in the same building who wanted to talk about teaching. When I did find someone it was like finding water in the desert for both of us. And typically those people were also taking classes, which gave us even more to talk about.

I cannot afford to take more classes right now. The pull is great, but I need to find other ways to expand my world. As President Jed Bartlett said in an episode of West Wing, "...I dream of ideas and diction, energy, honesty, and discussion...." I loved that so much I wrote it down. That's my dream, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying your posts on 50-something Moms, and so glad you are on "the team" ... and happy you're enjoying it. Your own site is very cool, too!