Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sex, Maid, and Evie

*Note: I will not divulge even one tiny teeny bit of the of the storyline...

If you know, want to meet, or ever thought you might like to learn more about the women of Sex and the City, go see the movie. It was even better than I thought it would be, and I expected it to be good. I want to see it again in the theater, which is equivalent to an A+ on my movie rating scale.

I love movies and often find morsels of wisdom in the dialogue. When something particulary strikes my fancy, I write it down. I have two morsels to share:

Five years ago today I saw Maid in Manhattan with Jennifer Lopez. Her character, Marissa, is a woman who is caught up in playing someone other than herself, and she is about to be found out. Lionel, a wise older employee at the same fancy hotel, says to her, "Sometimes we're forced in directions that we ought to have found for ourselves," and "What defines us is how well we rise after falling." Those words struck me today as I find myself in a totally different place from where I thought I'd be and struggling to get my bearings.

The other morsel is from a movie I saw on DVD last week, Driving Lessons, which I recommend if you have any appreciation of British comedy. The movie is about a young man, Ben, who goes to work for a retired actress, Evie. They have a series of adventures which include camping. Early one morning Evie calls Ben to come look at the scene outside their tent. She says, "Life is confusing. Just when we think it's all over it throws a view like this [majestic mountains reflected in a river] at us and we don't know where we are." That has happened to me ~ I feel like giving up to then have something unexpected happen to change my perspective.

No comments: