Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Grand Essentials

The first comment on my last post brought something to mind that I hadn't thought about for awhile. Several years ago I bought an inexpensive plaque with the following saying:

Three grand essentials
to happiness in this life are
something to do,
something to love,
and something to hope for.
Joseph Addison

The plaque hung on my wall for many years, and when I started teaching I made a poster with the saying for my classroom. I liked that the essence of life could be expressed with such simplicity.

I thought about the saying when I sat down at the computer to write this post ~ something to do

As I was worked around the house I thought about what my husband and children are doing today and have planned for the week-end ~ something to love

And yesterday I read the announcement for the opening of my dream job ~ something to hope for

I feel out of balance when one of these elements is missing from my life. I am unhappy when I feel there is no meaning to my doing. My children know this about me. When I asked my oldest son what he thought about this blog, he said, "I'm glad you found something to do, Mom." It wasn't the response I hoped for, but it acknowledged the fact that I'm in a better place when I am doing something with purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you in what you wrote in this post

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great comment on my blog! Reading this entry reminds me how we are all alike in trying to find our best way and our best hopes. Good for you!