Thursday, June 11, 2009

And The Day After That

In the past year I have not found a job, started a business, or gotten elected to public office.

During the same twelve months my children have made it clear that they can function quite well without my help, thank you very much.

The one place I have been successful is here, in this space. Somehow, someway I have been able to share who I am with my words and photos.

You, my readers, know me as well as my family...and better than most people who know me in person.

The phone calls I have received in the past two days have been well intentioned and kind. The person calling first tells me what I good job I did, even though I lost the election. Then the individual proceeds to tell me all the other people they know who have lost a first election, or that they know how it feels, or what training/experience/public service I could complete to be better prepared the next time.

What they don't know is why I put my name on the ballot in the first place or why I wouldn't want to do it again.

It is here that I am reassured that there are people who know and understand me.

For that, I am grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs Sharon!

Joanne said...

Often, in some way, we take something valuable from experiences like this, and they do come back to enrich our lives in ways unexpected. I just know that's happened here with you, and I can't wait to see just how!

Anonymous said...

Well, you are welcome. I agree with Joanne. Experiences are not as random as they might seem.

CaShThoMa said...

Yes, indeed. You have been successful with your blog and in coming alive to your readers even though many of us have never met you in person. Kudos.

Keep writing and we'll keep reading.

I can't wait to hear about you next adventure; all of this is for a reason. I know for myself that all my floundering about is for a reason; things will jell eventually.