Monday, June 29, 2009

Ready For Round 2

I had a job interview this afternoon. This is a job I am qualified for, would be good at, and want to have.

I didn't know what to expect. The invitation to interview came by phone call within days of submitting my application; the interview took place in a city different from where the work will be done; and I was to meet with one person while the job entails working with a variety of people.

I spent the morning flitting from one thing to another and couldn't decide what to wear. I went with a more casual shirt than tailored jacket. Red is never a bad choice. Then I crossed my fingers and decided to give it my best shot.

I met with a kind woman who put me at ease right away. Early on she mentioned there would be a second interview with the team of people who would be working with the person hired. A short while later she asked me if I would be interested in having a second interview...and I said I would be interested if I was asked. A bit later she asked me if she could call my references, and I said I would let them know they might receive a phone call. Minutes later she asked me to have a second interview and confirmed my email address.

Now I don't know if I wasn't picking up on the cues or if the cues were not clear. It has been so long since I've had a successful interview that I didn't know that things were going well.

I know that other applicants will be asked to have second interviews.

I need to polish answers to questions about my experience and goals.

I will get a second chance to impress the people who interview me.

I am ready for Round 2.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great interview and are definitely in the running for the position. How exciting for you. I'm sure you'll do well, keep us posted. Fingers crossed for you!

CaShThoMa said...

Sounds promising. Sending good thoughts your way!

mermaid said...

You are so honest, and brave. May this be something worthwhile.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

So happy to hear this, Sharon. And your choice of wearing something red breathed confidence — even if you didn't feel particularly courageous. (Plus I bet it looked great with your new "do.") I will keep my thoughts, heart, and prayer focused on a positive outcome for you, whatever that may mean... Blessings!

Kitty said...

This sounds very promising. When does Round 2 happen?

Anonymous said...

How exciting! For me, as an interviewer, we only pick a few top candidates to meet the team and bother to check references so I think you are definitely in the running!Somebody's got good taste!

Anonymous said...

Omigosh ... I am crossing fingers and praying to the job gods for you! Let us know. In any event, how nice to have had a positive experience. That always helps!