Friday, June 12, 2009

Shirley Valentine

Shirley Valentine is one of my favorite movies. It had been awhile since we'd seen it, so Ken and I watched it last night.

Filmed in 1989, it stars Pauline Collins, a British actress. I talked to a friend today who is a movie buff, and she had never heard of Shirley Valentine. I encouraged her to get to know this classic romantic comedy.

Ken and I saw this movie when it first came out on video tape, and we both enjoyed it immensely. We rented it more than once and then bought a used VHS version. Our VCR isn't hooked up, so this time I got the DVD from Netflix.

Every time I watch it I see something new, pick up different details.

I won't give away the story because I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it. If you have seen it, I recommend you watch it again.

As the opening credits rolled last night, Ken said, "I don't remember these drawings." Picture after picture of what Shirley does all day fills the screen while a song is sung in the background. I paid close attention to the words this time and the last line made me catch my breath: I'd like a chance to be the girl I used to be. I don't remember that the opening of the movie made such an impression on me.

I also didn't remember that Shirley's children had recently moved out of the house. In my mind the emphasis of the movie was on her marriage. Shirley and Joe have been married more than twenty years, and routine has become the order of the day.

Through flashbacks we see glimpses of Shirley's earlier life. Then we catch moments in her current life as her story unfolds.

Shirley Valentine's life has changed. She remembers who she used to be, and she wonders who she has become.

I had not watched the movie from the perspective of a woman with grown children. Before, I didn't pick up on the intensity of Shirley's search for who she is now. Last night I watched closely. I was looking for clues.

When I watched the movie this time, her journey took on a whole new meaning for me.

I saw how afraid she was. I understood the enormity of the risk she took. I recognized her courage.

I think the reward made it all worthwhile.

Shirley Valentine is a fictional character, and the movie makes us laugh.

All day I have been thinking about my inner Shirley Valentine and what kind of girl she'd be if she had the chance. No answers yet, but it's fun to think about.

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Thanks for the movie recommendation; I'm ordering it from Netflix right now; sounds like one that would have relevance for me right now too and some laughs to boot. I'll take it!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
I haven't seen this movie in a very long time and hardly remember it. I love the insights you shared here and now I am going to rent it and watch it with new eyes. I am definitely a woman on a mission to reclaim my truest self--esp. much of that little girl who lived in wonder and joy. :-) Thanks you for this! (I do love a good movie.)