Monday, June 22, 2009

Spring's Last Day

Saturday brought a break in the rainstorms we have been enduring for days. Ken and I took advantage of the comparatively dry spell to run some errands.

We stopped at the farmers' market on our way to the recycling barn. Then it was off to the bottle return with $8.90 worth of bottles and cans. The next stop was the grocery store, with a stop after that at Starbucks for iced coffee and a slice of lemon loaf. On the way home we bought steaks at a meat market that comes highly recommended by friends.

As we headed toward home I remembered that we had been invited to see an octagon-shaped home under construction a few miles from our house. The builder/owner had toured our house while it was being built and was anxious for us to see what he was working on.

The house is amazing ~ three floors of living space with windows on every side that look out over nine acres of gardens and woodland. The rooms are open and spacious. The planned color schemes are colorful and bright. The house has been five years in the making and reflects the creativity and talent of the owners.

Once home, Ken and I unpacked the car before it started to rain again.

And I decided that our house was boring....The shapes and colors seemed so plain after our tour of the octagon house.

It was time for a change, and the easiest thing to change is the furniture arrangement. So Ken and I got to work rearranging our bedroom. We moved the bed and dresser to opposite walls, which positioned the bed so it faces south. It was surprisingly easy and resulted in better reception on the clock radio, more floor space, and a window next to Ken's side of the bed. We were pleased with the results.

I slept great Saturday night. I don't know if it was the day's activities, or the furniture rearranging, or the beer with dinner.

Whatever it was, it worked for me...and for Ken, who was relieved that I didn't start painting the ceilings blue.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new perspective of moving my furniture!I firmly believe that there are certain directions of beds where you sleep better than others- maybe the light? Some say lining up with the magnetic poles?

Joanne said...

How nice to be inspired by the octagon house. The architect's vision was effective, then. I've been thinking about moving our living room sofa away from the wall, and turning it to face the fireplace. Hm, that octagon house inspiration is passing through the blogs!

Putting the pieces together... said...

is your head pointed north? I think that's supposed to be good feung shwai (totally not how you spell that, but you get it). Little changes are good!

Anonymous said...

I like being inspired by other homes, too ... it's a great thing to be able to "borrow" even the smallest ideas from other creative homeowners, isn't it? That's why I love to look through books on home decor.

Cindy H said...

I love to rearrange furniture, too, and experiment with how I feel in a room with different arrangements. Some rooms just feel peaceful or happy, and it's wonderful to capture the inspiration from the octogon house and make it your own in your own home.

mermaid said...

It's hard to be content when so many things outside ourselves dazzle the eye. I'm glad you could so some simpe things to help.