Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Gettin' Done

I learned when I moved to Maine that there were different ways to put words together. My favorite Maine phrase is "right out straight." It means to be really busy. A close second is "gettin' done," which means to resign, or to be fired or laid off.

I am gettin' done at the 50-Something Moms blog.

It's my choice, and I am parting on good terms. My priorities for my writing have changed, and it's time for me to refocus where I put my energy. My posts there took time to write and have a different voice because they were written for a different audience. [If you're curious, I've added a link on the side to my posts on that site.]

I want to spend more time writing here and visiting the blogs of women I've come to know and enjoy. It takes time to keep up with what others are writing, think about what they've said, and frame comments that add to the conversation.

It's also time for me to officially acknowledge that "mom" is no longer my #1 role. I am a lot of things and 50-something mom has moved down on the list.

There are different ways to put words together. I am 50 something, and I am a mom, but those two words put together are no longer the first way I define myself.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I love hearing the lingo of different regions, they're a lot of fun. Sounds like you've got some great changes going on, shifting your priorities a little, changing your outlook. You'll be "right out straight" setting your ideas and words to new fashion, and I'm looking forward to the outcome!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I think we've all learned a lot through the experience of blogging for 50-something Moms. For one thing, I have discovered that fewer women our age spend as much time at home online as we could when we were "captive" at home with younger kids.

Honestly, I would have welcomed blogging 20 years ago and would have been online 24/7, or at least while my son was in school. But now, as an empty nester, I want to be OUT there in the 3-D world, and I have less time to play online...

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

There is a time for everything, Sharon, and I appreciate how you've determined it's time to move on. I agree with Cindy too. I do love blogging and writing online columns, but I am looking at less time at the computer right now, not more. So I am choosing my obligations carefully. I was accepted to write at the same blog you mention but at the last minute chose not to. Felt like a wise choice to me. Onward we go!

Anonymous said...

I'm darn sure they will miss you Sharon! I don't know if I could write for anyone but myself.