Sunday, June 14, 2009

Oatmeal Bread

It rained all last night and all day today. It has been a long, disappointing week. Today I needed comfort food, so I made a loaf of oatmeal bread. I am going to share the recipe because it's my favorite bread recipe from one of my favorite people.
Marie's Oatmeal Bread
Makes two loaves of bread. Recipe can be halved.
3 Tbsp. shortening
1 cup oats
2 tsp. salt (I never use this much)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 tsp. soda
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbsp. yeast
7 - 8 cups flour

Put shortening, oats, and salt in a bowl. Mix molasses, soda, and 1/2 cup boiling water; add to bowl with 1 1/2 cups boiling water. When cool, add warm water that has had yeast added. Mix in flour. Knead 8 - 10 minutes. Rest on counter 10 minutes. Shape into loaves and turn into lightly greased bread pans. Rise once in pans until over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

4 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

This sounds like a wonderful bread recipe; definitely comfort food. I hope you enjoyed it, with butter...of course!

Kristen said...

I was actually thinking about this bread today -- the weather was dreary and it's been a long day. Here's to a date for toast and tea?

Joanne said...

Oh the weather's been so punky this Spring, humid and cloudy and rain, all the time! Wishing you sunshine, and a 2nd piece of that delicious bread!

Kitty said...

Yum. I'm going to give this recipe a try.