Sunday, June 21, 2009

Smell The Flowers

I wish you could smell the peonies in this bouquet~

I helped plan and prepare for a small fund-raising event Friday evening. I took red carnations to join with blue iris and white peonies for a bouquet.
How did I not know about the fabulous scent of peonies?
All evening I would take a deep breath every time I passed the table with the vase of flowers. I was reminded of the softer scent of lilies of the valley, a special favorite because it was the scent of the first cologne I owned as a girl.
At the end of the event, I was given the flowers to take home. I put the bouquet in a red vase and sat it on the counter in the middle of the kitchen where I catch a whiff every time I enter the room. Breeeeeathe in...ahhhhh. Beautiful.

4 comments:

Only the Half of It said...

I love peonies and they do smell wonderful but more up close. They made fabulous dense arrangements in varying shades of pink, too.

Joanne said...

I don't think I've ever smelled peonies, but I do love catching the scent of fresh flowers, with their suggestion of nature at large.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh- gorgeous flowers. I think that only some peonies are fragrant perhaps that's why you never knew that. I have some but they have no scent, :(.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

My pink peonies are almost ready to pop and I can hardly wait. I do love them so... Your arrangement was so lovely, quite patriotic looking.