Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Morning After The Election

The tally as of 9:15 last night was 232 votes for me and 281 votes for the write-in.

I needed 50 more votes to win.

Thank you for your good thoughts and best wishes. I am sure they are what sustained me through 8 hours of standing yesterday. The warden, who oversees the polling site, allowed me to stand under an overhang just outside the door. It was good to be under cover because it was 50 degrees and rainy all day. I wore a brimmed hat, trench coat, and winter clogs. Mid-afternoon I added a sweater.

Late-morning I had tea and toast with my friend in town, and later I came home for soup and a cup of coffee. At dinnertime Ken brought me coffee and animal crackers. Other than that I was on my feet greeting people and telling them my name.

I probably said hello to most of the people who voted against me.

I also met people whose names I have been hearing for two years. I shook hands with people who helped with my campaign, people who told me they voted for me, people who thanked me, and people who wished me luck.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the person who started this ball rolling when he neglected to tell anyone he wasn't running again. He walked by me twice, once on his way in and then on his way out, with his back to me pulling the old "look over there" trick. That was just rude.

I met a well-known builder in town who told me he toured my house when it was being built. He said the guy did a good job. He's currently building a house of similar materials and invited me to stop by to see it.

At the beginning of the day the warden made sure I knew the rules about what I could say to people. He checked on me throughout the day. At 7:00 last evening he told me I could stand inside the small entryway where it was warmer because I "had been a good sport all day." Gee, thanks.

I will not run for select board again. For a long time, possibly many years, I will known as the "woman who lost to a write-in candidate."

In addition to that there are two difficult things to accept about this experience:

We did the best we could with the information, time, and resources that we had. We made at least 200 more contacts, phone calls, and emails than people who voted for me. I needed just 50 more votes to win. Participatory democracy works when people participate...

And it works when people use the democratic process. I took out papers, collected signatures, filed papers, and got my name on the ballot. The other side, known bullies in town, worked undercover up until just days ago. When bullies win, they continue to bully.

Our annual town meeting is tonight. My friend in politics said it's going to be a bad one.

I will go to the meeting, although I am not looking forward to it. Ken is working out of town so he won't be home to go. There are four huge issues, and many smaller ones, to discuss and vote on.

I believe in the democratic process so I will go to vote on the issues. People who value this town as I do will need to do the same, or the bullies will win again.

7 comments:

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
I am so sorry to hear of these results. Yet, after reading what you've said here, I know beyond a doubt that your community is who actually lost. They lost out on a candidate with passion and heart, and, most of all integrity. Not to be cynical, but you would have been the bloom on a rose bush of thorns. I have no love for politics at this stage of my life, but I deeply respect people like you who are truly trying to make a difference...people who actually care and are not "on the take," in office for their own selfish purposes. And I would have gone to the polls and voted for you in a heartbeat!

This is my hope for you. That wonderful new life-affirming connections have been made (and will be forthcoming) as a result of running for office. New friends, kindred spirits, who do care about the greater good and are forward thinking. A new, local support system for you...And I know you will have grown tremendously from moving through this experience. In time, I think you will embrace yourself as a truly, courageous woman. Gasho! (That is a deep bow in the Taoist tradition :-) )

Joanne said...

I'm sorry too, to read this. You definitely gave it your all, right to the very end, very commendable indeed. But after reading all the details here, the underhandedness, I feel as though perhaps you are better than this and will be far better suited to something less conflicting? Regardless, kudos to you for your admirable efforts!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sharon, what a close election. I am sorry you didn't win -- but like Jan Lundy notes, I can see that you've learned so much from this whole process. You'll continue to grow from the effort you put out there, and maybe you'll try again someday? Without a doubt, you've earned the respect of many in your community. And I, for one, admire you for stepping forward!

Kitty said...

Having read your previous posts about this, I'd say you didn't lose to a write-in candidate but to a political machine. It was about the issues, not you as a person. I also have the feeling that if you'd won, you'd have been dealing with these same bullies the whole way through your term.

That probably sounds like "sour grapes", but I'm thinking that your energy and talents can be used in other ways that are more pleasant and satisfying for you. And as the others commented, you've no doubt made some good connections with people that will serve you well.

Anonymous said...

You worked hard and played fair, and when they count it all up at the end, you will be the winner.

Don't sweat the meeting. As someone mentioned earlier, this was not about you as a person. Hold your head up and speak your mind if needs be and remember that statistically, there were almost as many people in favor of you as the other person, and that means something.

This was a win for you personally if not in actuality. You have gained respect and new admirers. Kudos.

Anonymous said...

Hey, honestly for your first time out in a fairly new community I think you did pretty darn fabulous! Don't lose heart, it is a true battle to get into politics and I agree with all of the other commentors- their loss!

CaShThoMa said...

Sharon;

I admire the courage it took to step into the fray and move through uncharted territory. No matter the outcome, you've learned a lot and quite likely have gained confidence. The inspiration on how to use what you've learned will come. I can feel it.