Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Alotta Coffee Days

One of Maine's claims to fame is that people here know how to drive in snow...

except during rush hour on the day of the first snowfall.  There was an inch or two of snow early this morning, with light snow still falling as people were on their way to work, and traffic from central to southern Maine was a mess.  There were 100 accidents reported.  Ugh.

My daughter has an 80-mile commute with her new job.  She called just before 10:00 to advise that I put off errands until the afternoon when the roads would be clear.  Made sense to me.

Between yesterday and today I got a lot done.  I drank a lot of coffee, too.  Cold temperatures and lots to do are a combo that calls for many cups of coffee so my travel mug has been busy.

I donated cat supplies to the local animal shelter and books to a used bookstore that benefits a library.  I returned bottles to the redemption center; those nickels and dimes add up and treat us to dinner once a year.  I recycled worn out computer mouses and audio cables at Best Buy.

Periodically the clutter around here reaches a tipping point and it's time to load up the car.  Fortunately there are places to donate most things so that others can make use of what we don't need any longer.  This time of year especially it feels good to clean up and clear out.

I hope the weather is cooperating where you are.  More precipitation is due here tonight and tomorrow.  The prediction is for rain, providing the temperatures stay above freezing.

Winter weather has arrived just in time for the holidays.

3 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

It sounds like you had a really productive day, in spite of the weather. I have the luxury of being able to wait out the weather, too, most days.

I find I'm more inclined to do a Winter Cleaning, instead of a Spring Cleaning, too. Love that you spread your prosperity around to those in need.

Blessings - stay warm!
Carolynn

RURAL said...

The snow is the bane of every area...isn't it? Supposedly we all know how to drive in it here, after all it's hanging around for months, but come first snowfall...well just like where you live.

Jen

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Sharon. It has been such a pleasure to meet you. And I envy your weather, because I think we're all out of rain over here, for now. Turkey and a warm afternoon -- it's just not right.