Friday, November 15, 2013

Saying Is Believing

Today I had to go to the grocery store.  This is a chore I sometimes put off until I can no longer wait, and today was one of the days I had to go.  Last weekend we ate most everything in the fridge because I knew we'd both be gone for a few days.  I scraped together a meal last night, but we were at the end of the line for dinner ingredients.

So I went.  I didn't intend to do a massive shopping spree but to buy enough to get us through the next few days ~ fruit, veggies, milk, juice, and bread.

I always start in the produce section.  I have tried to start elsewhere in the store but I feel disoriented and wind up backtracking.  I was selecting brussel sprouts when I spied a gentleman out of the corner of my eye.  I offered to move over but he said he'd wait and not to hurry.

This guy looked familiar....

I said, "Mike?"  And he said yes.  Then he said hello and asked how I was doing and if we lived in the same place.  Mike is the realtor who sold us our house.

He remembered the last time he saw me I was running for local office in 2008.  I had to explain how I lost the election, although I was the only name on the ballot, because the old- timers in town decided that a new community member could not be trusted to be elected to the select board.  They launched a clandestine write-in campaign and their good ole boy won.  Thank goodness I can laugh about it now.

Mike looks the same.  We chatted for a bit.  He asked what I'm doing now.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've had to summarize "what I'm doing now" in the last six years.  I can now say in two or three sentences that I have not been successful in changing careers, I am planning to return to teaching, and I will start with substituting.

He asked where I was planning to start and I said close to home.  Turns out his wife works as an ed tech in our town's elementary school and has for some years.  She likes it.  I asked her name and told him I would introduce myself when I saw her.  He said he'd tell her to look for me.

Now I really do have to submit the paperwork....

No comments: