Saturday, November 16, 2013

Two Movies

It's not that I don't have more than two movies to recommend.  I will plan to do an end of year movie review...I didn't do that last year.

For now I have two movies that I highly recommend, one from the summer that is just out on DVD and one I saw today.

This summer Ken, my daughter, and I saw The Way Way Back in a local independent theater.  I had seen previews and knew I'd like it with Allison Janney, Toni Collette, Sam Rockwell, and Steve Carell.  The movie was wonderful, about parents and kids and neighbors, growing up and growing into ourselves.  Toni Collette is a single mom with a teenage son who has little confidence in his abilities.  Allison Janney is hilarious and Sam Rockwell is insightful.  There are funny moments and sensitive moments.  The movie is more serious than comedic, much like life.  When it was over, the three of us agreed that we'd watch it again, probably more than once, when it comes out on DVD ~ high praise in my family.

Today with my friend Marie I saw another winner, just released in theaters About Time.  Again I had seen previews but wasn't really sure what the story was about.  It's written and directed by the same guy who wrote and directed Love Actually.  The only thing I think the two movies have in common is Bill Nighy, who is good in anything he does.  Rachel McAdams is delightful, as usual.  Domhnall Gleeson is adorable as the clumsy romantic male lead.  The story is premised on the fantasy of being able to travel back in time for do-overs. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  The relationships are believable, even if all the events are not.  As people and places and happenings were woven together I wanted things to work out.  Marie and I liked it.  I will watch it again for sure.

It has been a slow year for movies.  Some years are like that.  There were previews for a couple movies that show promise.  I hope to get to the theater a few more times this year.

I love movies ~ 

5 comments:

cauchy09 said...

I love movies too! Used to devour them instaiably, but now prefer to see fewer, better ones. I haven't seen these two and will put them on my list.

Best movie I saw this year is Safety Not Guaranteed. An independent film about the potential of time travel, there's a little romance. Such a sweet, hopeful film.

RURAL said...

I like movies, but I can't remember the last time I went to one...

And even if I get the videos out from the library, I still don't watch them, go figure.

But that said, these were two that I had on my list to enjoy, thanks for letting us know that they are worth the while.

Jen

cindy said...

I love movies too and used to often go alone. Not so much right now with school. But I plan to get back to them and will watch your recommendations on DVD:)

Balisha said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll put them on my list. I just visited Netflix and selected a few....so I'll have a coupld more to add.
Balisha

Carolynn Anctil said...

I love movies, too! The Way, Way Back is an absolute gem of a movie. We watched it two nights in a row and officially ranks up there as one of my favourites.

I haven't seen the other one you mentioned. We'll watch for it.

I also highly recommend Stuck in Love with Jennifer Connolly and Greg Kinnear. Not your typical chick flick. :o)