Friday, November 22, 2013

Softening

I went for acupuncture today.

After I explained how my body has been over the last three weeks, she smiled.

"You're breathing," she said.  "Your diaphragm is working."

I told her I feel like I've been holding my breath my whole life.  She said that makes it hard for my body to work at its best.  Yes it does.

She suggested I think about softening, breathing into feelings that come up, nurturing myself.

I didn't know nurturing until I had children, who taught me how and what it meant to care about another human being.

Do it for yourself, she said.  Eat good food, take a bath, exercise.

Be gentle with yourself, she said.

I lay on the table, with needles all over my body.  The lights dimmed and the door gently closed.  Tears escaped, droplets of gratitude for my children, my life, and the grace I have been given.

Softening ~ a word to savor ~

3 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

This is beautiful.
We have so much to be
thankful for..

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, I love the softening at the end. Tears can have such healing power. This sounds like it could be an excellent contender for an Annual Word. *grin*

Blessings,
Carolynn

Anonymous said...

Ah, another post I deeply relate to. I have been employing that word softening for some time now. And, how hard it is to remember...to be soft! I am so accustomed to being armored and rushing, and doing everything that I possibly can to make things...right? perfect? I receive acupuncture from time to time, also, and am able to just let myself feel whatever is there inside. What a gift to give ourselves.