Thursday, November 7, 2013

Time For A Haircut

In the past three years nine different people have cut my hair.

The stylist I had for years didn't hear what I wanted once my hair was longer ~ she kept trying weird layers that I couldn't do anything with once I got home.  I had some luck at the Beauty School but students graduate so it was someone new each time, which meant I was taking my chances.  I got a good cut while I was in Keene, New Hampshire, but that's a four hour drive.  I tried three stylists recommended by friends, but each one tried a style that looked ragged and took forever to grow out.

I wanted someone who would listen to me about how my hair grows and how much trouble my cowlicks are and how I don't want my bangs too short.  It takes thirty minutes to cut my hair.  It's not complicated, but I couldn't find anyone who could do a simple haircut.

Then a year and a half ago Ken heard that there was a new barber in Richmond.  Technically we live in Bowdoinham, but shops in Richmond are closer and where we do most of our local errands.  Karen has been a barber for many years.  She set up shop in one of the old mill buildings, and I stopped in one day to see what her hours were.  I liked her and asked if she would cut my hair.  She said she doesn't do anything fancy, so I knew we'd get along fine.

Karen has been cutting my hair, and Ken's hair, ever since.  She has an easy-going way about her.  We talk about our families and what we've been up to.  Her room is only big enough for one at a time, so anyone waiting sits in a little room next door or returns in a half hour.  I like that it's just she and I for that amount of time.  I like that we will pick up where we left off next time I see her.

Her shop is located in a building on the Kennebec River ~

Complete with awning, sign, and barber pole ~

Her shop is cozy and warm, with a real safe in the corner left by a previous tenant ~

Down the street on the corner is Annabella's Bakery & Cafe, where I buy local eggs ~

Around the corner and up the hill is our favorite diner, the Railway Cafe Restaurant and Lounge ~

True Value Hardware and Main Street Fuel are across the street ~

Next door to Pierce's Grocery Store, where I buy milk ~

And home is just three and a half miles away.

2 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, don't get me started on haircuts! I've had a devil of a time finding a stylist I like since our move a year ago. I swear, my hair is longer when I get home after a 'cut' than it was when I walked in the salon! And, they charge city prices! *sigh*

I hope you enjoy your visit to the salon!

Balisha said...

Hi,
I have had trouble with stylists too. They always want to make me fancy...and that's not what I want.
I really enjoyed seeing your little town.
Have a nice weekend.
Balisha