Sunday, November 3, 2013

Yarn Harlot

Last evening my daughter and I drove to Rockland, on the coast of Maine, to hear a talk by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee aka the Yarn Harlot.  Stephanie knits, writes books and blog posts about her life as a knitter, and travels the continent telling stories about her knitting life.  She is hilarious.  I haven't laughed that much in a very long time.

The topic of last night's talk was "Your Brain on Knitting."  There is a fair amount of research, carried out at Harvard and Princeton and MIT and Cambridge, about how repetitive visual-spacial tasks enhance brain function and aid the brain in repairing and building neuropathways.  While most of the research doesn't specifically list knitting as a repetitive visual-spatial task, the process of creating items out of yarn with needles meets all of the criteria.  I plan to track down the research because I want to know more.

I am a beginner knitter of the basic knit and purl variety.  Thirty years ago I made a few simple sweaters.  More recently I've knitted scarves and small cotton dishcloths.  While I was visiting Martha's Vineyard I bought yarn to make a scarf to ease my way back into the craft.  My daughter is encouraging me to pick up my knitting needles again.

She has good reason to ~ knitting helped her get through medical school.  I showed Kristen how to knit simple squares when she was in elementary school, and she made doll blankets.  Years later she picked up needles and yarn again because she said keeping her hands busy helped her concentrate when attending lectures in medical school.  I don't know how she knew to do it, but the research bears out what Kristen knew ten years ago, that knitting makes your brain work better.

And I'm all for more brain power ~  

7 comments:

Balisha said...

Where are my needles :) I need all the help I can get. All kidding aside, I think this is true.I used to knit more complicated things, but now I knit scarves and simple things. Joe always asks what I'm knitting...when I say a scarf, he says, "Another one!!!"
Balisha

Carolynn Anctil said...

Maybe its the return of cold, blustery weather here, or the work I'm doing with my writing e-course, but I've been thinking that I'd like to take up knitting again, too. I find it relaxing and calming. That said, I've never produced anything that I've been particularly proud of.

FYI, a good friend of mine sells hand dyed wool in absolutely delicious colours. Thought you might be interested in checking out her product line.
http://www.hazelknits.com/

Blessings,
Carolynn

Carolynn Anctil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pienosole said...

That sounds fun! I too can only do simple knitting and have made ANYTHING in many, many years. You've got me thinking about going back to learn more. Enjoying your daily blogging :-).

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I have thought about learning for years and seems I do not take the time. No one near and will have to find someone :)
Come visit me
and teach me :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so wish you lived closer to me, or I lived closer to you. I would love to knit. I've tried, but thus far, the art escapes me.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Hey - I forgot to ask if you got a picture taken with the infamous "sock". *grin*

(For some reason my comments are showing up in duplicate - here and everywhere...)