Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Day Out

Ken and I had a day in Portland. We ate good food, drank good coffee, bought nutritious groceries, and saw a movie.

Thank you for the recommendations. I have wanted to see The Fighter, but it wasn't showing at the intown theater. We decided on True Grit, but the first showing was too late in the afternoon.

So we saw The Illusionist. It's not our usual type of movie, an animated feature film for adults. There was little dialogue, and most of what there was was in other languages. But there was something endearing about the story ~ an elderly magician takes a young woman under his wing. There were funny characters and sad moments. In the end the irony is that what he thinks is true is disproved by what he has been able to do for the young woman.

The movie was a nice change from our usual fare. And now I can still look forward to seeing The Fighter and True Grit.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Sounds like a simply perfect day. I haven't been to a movie theater in so long, it's probably been over two years now. We pretty much rent dvds and watch from home on movie nights. We throw an occasional marathon in every now and then, anything from a chick flick to a Dirty Harry marathon.

mermaid said...

What a wonderful day. Good food, good movie, good connection. I, myself love these days. Happy Valentine's Day.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I grew up on westerns, so I really enjoyed True Grit. Happy V Day and thank you for your kind words over at my place.