Thursday, February 24, 2011

While I Was Sleeping

It is amazing what a difference a good night's sleep makes. Last night I went to bed exhausted and grateful. This morning I woke up glad that I had been asleep and ready to start the day. I love when that happens! Tonight I went looking for words to describe what I am feeling, not sure they existed, and I came upon a poem that suggests so much more ~

Last Night As I Was Sleeping
by Antonio Machado

Last night as I was sleeping,
I dreamt - marvelous error! -
that a spring was breaking
out in my heart.
I said: Along which secret aqueduct,
Oh water, are you coming to me,
water of a new life
that I have never drunk?

Last night as I was sleeping,
I dreamt - marvelous error! -
that I had a beehive
here inside my heart.
And the golden bees
were making white combs
and sweet honey
from my old failures.

Last night as I was sleeping,
I dreamt - marvelous error! -
that a fiery sun was giving
light inside my heart.
It was fiery because I felt
warmth as from a hearth,
and sun because it gave light
and brought tears to my eyes.

Last night as I slept,
I dreamt - marvelous error! -
that it was God I had
here inside my heart.

(From ten poems to change your life, 2001, Harmony Books, p. 21)

4 comments:

mermaid said...

I cannot thank you enough for this poem. I have needed some joy today, and your peaceful night gave way to this.

Darla said...

Gorgeous poem! Thank you for finding and sharing it. Blessings!

Laura said...

Sharon what a marvelous poem you've shared. I loved the honey passage in particular.

gentle steps my friend

teri said...

a marvelous error- a beehive in my heart-... and they were making white combs and sweet honey from my old failures.

You don't know what a relief those lines are to me this evening. Thank you dear friend- so sorry I have been out of touch.