Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Flight School

I started Flight School three and a half weeks ago. This is graduate school for Buddha Chick Basic Training graduates.

I haven't mentioned that Flight School started. I went back through end-of-the-year posts and found that I was still on the fence in the last post where I mentioned Buddha Chick classes. [In the process I started a category for Buddha Chick posts.]

It's not a secret that I'm in Flight School. I just haven't been sure where I was or where I am headed in terms of being a Buddha Chick (BC). I am such a feet-on-the-ground type of girl that it's hard for me to pin down my place on the BC continuum.

For the Basic Training class I did the assignments, participated in the conference calls, and felt like I learned the material. It was like what happens when I read some books for the first time: when it's a new concept for me I can read the words but I may not understand all the levels of meaning. I will plow through to get to the end so that I can start again because once I have been exposed to the ideas I can build on that the next time through.

I think I've been this way as long as I have been an adult learner. When I went back to college in 1989 for a degree in teaching, I hadn't taken a class in ten years. I had three children. I had not spoken in complete sentences or finished a thought in a decade. The first semester I took two classes, English Composition [I was exempted from the class right out of high school but now needed the three credits] and Geography. I enjoyed both classes ~ taking notes, participating in class discussions, studying for exams. The creative writing was a natural fit for me. Writing my first research paper about a place in the world? Not so much. I had trouble with every aspect: deciding on a topic, making sense of the books I found, and writing the paper. I literally plowed through and just got it done. I got a B on the paper and was grateful because I didn't have a clue. But I did it. The next time was easier and the rest of my grades were higher.

This is my process when I tackle a topic that's new to me. I go through the motions until something clicks. There is no certain time frame, so I don't panic if it doesn't happen for awhile. I put one foot in front of the other, have patience, and stick with it. Eventually...

Things start to make sense.

Something clicked this week in Flight School. I am still connecting the dots but there is definitely a picture starting to take shape.

The journey continues....

5 comments:

teri said...

"Going through the motions until something clicks" ... Not only does that ring a bell but I LOVE the way you said it. Learning to accept being out of sych allows us to play, while waiting for stuff to gel. This was again a really great post- thank you.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, the journey continues for all of us. Sometimes slow - but exciting...

Laura said...

♥ I look forward to receiving the messages you discern as the clicks continue to decode themselves in your heartmind.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, I agree completely that we often need to go through the motions until something clicks! I look forward to reading more about Flight School.

Debra said...

I hope that you are still "clicking"!!! I have had such a difficult time getting started. I signed up after thinking that I might not, and so far, I just haven't found the motivation to get me where I need to go. I don't know...maybe the timing for me just wasn't right. You have inspired me to give it another shot. Thank you, friend.

Hugs,
Deb