Monday, February 28, 2011

Farewell February

Oh, February, I am glad to bid you farewell. You started off with such promise this year. Now on the last day, I am glad to see you go.

Over the course of the last three days you have dropped a foot of snow, which has made the roads as slick as they have been all winter. People normally able to navigate Maine byways covered with snow have slipped and slid. I stayed out of trouble because I stayed home.

While I am at home I enjoy watching television. Last night your cloud cover obstructed the digital signal from the local ABC affiliate, and I was unable to watch the Academy Awards. This is a simple pleasure I look forward to all year. All. Year. It costs nothing but brings me such happiness.

To top off the havoc you have wreaked, somewhere in a snowbank or pothole lies a lug nut that belongs on the right rear tire of my car. The loud thumping and vibration of the vehicle was a sign that something was wrong, and the wobbly tire confirmed it. Just because I haven't been out doesn't mean that my car hasn't been driven. Oh, it's been driven alright, long enough to have important parts fall right off.

I am marking the calendar, February. Next year I shall skip right over you....

7 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Yea, this hasn't been the most stellar February of my life to date. I'm looking forward to June, actually. *grin*

CaShThoMa said...

Bye Bye February...I'm with you!

Joanne said...

Potholes? The way my car lurches when it hits one, they're more like sinkholes this year. Sorry about your lug nut :/

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Next year I will skip over February also :) Seemed like the longest month instead of the shortest. Car problems I have experienced them lately - also.

Anonymous said...

You can't see me here in Michigan now, but I am nodding in agreement as I read your post today. We've had a lot of SNOW too, more than I can ever recall. March is a long month around here, too, but it just sounds more *hopeful* ... wishing you an early spring, Sharon!!

StephLove said...

If you figure out how to do that (skip February) let me know.

Patti Lacy said...

Sharon, I TOTALLY AGREE!!!
There have been disappointments, heartaches, and my husband's THREE BLOOD CLOTS.

Praise God he is healing and has turned the corner of a life-threatening event.

In my rearview, Feb.
P