Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Scattered

It has been a strange few days. I can't seem to get anything finished.

The vacuum cleaner has been in the middle of the floor since last week because I was sure that would guarantee that I would get to it. I have laundry in various states of washed/folded/ready to iron in two bedrooms and the family room. The desk is cluttered and the refrigerator is empty.

We bought a bookcase because it was a great deal from a candle store that is closing. We got it home to discover that it still smells like candles, and I have tried every substance I can think of to wipe it down. So it may just need to smell like candles until it smells like something else. Right now it's leaning against a futon in the sitting room.

Every day for the past week I have wished I had a secretary, a housekeeper, a cook, and a bookkeeper. Today I decided what I need is a trainer, someone to come in and retrain me in how to organize my life. I used to have a routine that involved just the duties of running a home. I am now trying to transition into doing things other than housework and paperwork, and I am doing a lousy job of making time to do other things.

I think that since I am in control of my own time I should be able to get everything done that I want to do. I purposefully block out time when I will not make phone calls or leave the house to run errands because I know that eats up time. I stay home and think that if I put in enough hours I will get a handle on what I want to get done.

It's not working out that way.

I am puzzled but I am not defeated because it feels like something is brewing. I can't tell if it's in me or somewhere "out there," but it feels like change is coming. I have no idea what it will be, not even if it will be positive or negative. I just know I can't get rolling on any one thing, and when that has happened in the past it has meant that something was about to shift.

I hope I'm right about this. If not and this "scatteredness" continues, I will need to call in an efficiency expert to help me get back on track!

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I use a journal for weekly to-do lists, but they're only for my writing tasks. It helps, though, to see the visual of what I've done checked off, and what I need to do. It gives shape to my intent.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My heart goes out to you. I cannot relate to what you share as I have always been organized. Just me....
Up in the morning, Callie out, computer, straighten house a little, yoga and breakfast. A calendar on desk and one in kitchen where I mark appt and ongoing grocery list. Now trying to just go every 2 weeks. I save this way.
Hoping you get a handle on this.
But then many can function this way
and think I am too orgranized :)
Just habit from being in business and then on my own for over 30 years.

Carolynn Anctil said...

It sounds like spring fever. I'm well acquainted with it. It helps me if I tackle one job at a time. Get that done before I move onto the next project.

teri said...

Sharon- I have absolutely no advice for you- because this scenario comes and goes in my life of a regular basis-But with that said it always turns itself around and one day all the clothes are put away, the vacuuming is done and the sun comes out at just the right moment. Thinking of you while you are brewing- lots of love from far away-

Helen said...

You don't need all those folks you mentioned -- you just need a good wife! : )

You are one of the most organized, "git-er-done" people that I know. When the change is done brewing, this scattered slump will be but a memory and all will be clear again. New direction, new ideas, new projects, new adventures...

Debra said...

Dearest Sharon,

I understand the scattered feeling and how it comes and goes when we least expect it. You are such a sensitive soul so I don't doubt that what you are sensing is a change to come. Allow yourself time to daydream and procrastinate. In time, you will begin to feel less scattered, more focused and the answers will come. I have faith in you, dear one.

Love and hugs,
Deb