Saturday, February 5, 2011

Position: Filled

Well, that was quick.

The day after I sent in my application, and just ten days after the job listing was posted, I got an email that the position for which I applied was filled. It was still posted on the job board! I emailed back with a thank you.

This tells me that they already had someone in mind for the job, which often happens in organizations that have a policy that all jobs must be advertised before they can be filled. There is just no way that a job can be advertised, applications received and reviewed, interviews scheduled and held, and a job offered and accepted within a ten-day period...minus the week-end and three days worth of snow storms.

The good news is that the email came from the executive director. My cover letter and resume passed through her hands at least once.

So.

That's that. And that's okay because I'm back in the hunt.

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

It will happen....when it is suppose to..

Joanne said...

Darn. At least they did give you the courtesy of letting you know so you're not wondering about it.

Helen said...

Ahhh...the things over which we have no control or complete knowledge.

Chin up and maintain your good attitude as you watch for the next reasonable job listing.

Anne said...

Agh! I had an interview once that went so well - one of those that it just clicked, felt like I already worked there, and ended up sharing stories and laughing with the 3 people interviewing me. I was so excited. At the very end this woman walked by and they all called out "Hi - how are you - haven't seen you in so long" - and got up to hug her. Then right before she left said, you filled out the application right? I mean, we already know everything but you need to submit the paperwork...

Yeah - she used to work there, and she got the job. I found out later they planned to give it to her the whole time.

It can be disconcerting - but everything does happen in it's own time. Keep swimming along!

Best,Anne

Carolynn Anctil said...

You just never know how these things will turn out. The thank you you sent was a very good move. Not every one will have done that and you will be remembered the next time an opening comes up. It's happened to me. I got a call a week after a position had been filled because their original candidate hadn't worked out as expected and they remembered that I had sent a thank you note.

Hang onto that positive attitude. You'll find the right place.