Friday, February 18, 2011

Give Me A Boost

Four out of five days this week I climbed on the treadmill not once but twice. That's four miles times four plus two miles today. I am determined to boost my metabolism. I can't tell if it's working yet but I sure do feel accomplished and energized.

When we lived in the city Ken and I joined a gym at a local hotel. It wasn't fancy but we could both be on a treadmill at the same time and sometimes we also took a dip in the pool. The place was minutes from our house and near shopping, so it was convenient.

When we moved to the woods I knew I was going to have to make an effort to get exercise in the winter. This is the first year I have been so consistent in using the treadmill, which has a lot to do with turning 55 and what my body has decided to do without my permission: spread. I am determined to stay ahead of adding inches and pounds. Since I enjoy eating it means that I need to increase physical activity.

Today a friend asked me if I do yoga. It reminded me that I need to check into a storefront just two miles away that always looks empty. I have heard that there are yoga classes offered there, or there used to be classes available. I need to check again because the more I walk the more flexible I feel.

For me exercise is one of those things that the more I do the more I feel like doing. My goal is to continue with the same number of miles and increase my speed. It helps that I'm currently watching "Mad About You" on DVD while I walk ~ laughing is good for a boost, too.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

At my last physical, I told my doctor that I think my metabolism just stopped. She laughed and said I'm probably right. Sheesh. I'm a walker too, and it helps ...

Cynthia said...

For the past two weeks, I have gotten on the treadmill five days out of seven. This is the most consistent I have ever been. You might be happy to know that studies found that women who enter the "menopause" years with a decent weight do not tend to put on pounds. Especially if, like you,, they work on it!

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, you just inspired me to increase my weekly exercise. You go, girl!

CaShThoMa said...

So true about exercise; I feel likewise; the more I do, the more I want to do. I just need that first kick.

As for Mad Men...isn't that show just fabulous?

Anne said...

I LOVE Mad about You. :) Exercise in the winter helps me so much. I think, since it's the only time I sweat during the cold months, that it must help de-tox... That's so wonderful that you're so consistent about it.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I hear ya'. My waistline is expanding and I don't like it! We took a couple of weeks off yoga and we're planning to get back to it tonite. Winter is the worst time of year for me to be active. It's so difficult to get motivated.

mermaid said...

Sharon, it sounds like you are really being good to yourself...paying attention to negative self talk, walking, contemplating yoga...let it all in in large amounts!