Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Week Without Snow

We did not have a snowstorm last week. There was one threatened mid-week but it went out to sea. The main roads are completely clear. The secondary roads that have accumulated snow and ice also have enough ruts in them to make them safe to drive. The most dangerous places are walkways and driveways where snow has melted and refrozen to create a nice slick surface that makes walking difficult.

There was no storm last week, although we did get a bit of mixed precipitation one night.

I forget about all of this in the summertime. When the black flies are thick, and then the mosquitoes are buzzing, I long for the cold, crisp, bug-free air of winter. I fondly remember when dark comes early and the shorter days mean more relaxed evenings inside. I look forward to clear blue skies and a bright white landscape.

Then we get storm after storm. And I remember that this is part of winter, too.

So it has been a relief to have a week without a major storm. The past four days I have not been home much, and it felt good to be out and about. Often I don't feel that way, regardless of the weather, and will use any excuse to stay home for days at a time. The time away was time well spent.

Now I feel like I can settle down and get caught up with myself.

6 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your first paragraph sounds like my woods.
60 degrees yesterday. Oh, the warmth of the sun felt wonderful.
Have stayed so close to home since Thanksgiving. Will continue to do the same - but - have a lot of errands and restocking to do.
Enjoy this day....

Joanne said...

Raising my coffee cup in a toast to our snow-free week ... Cheers :)

Laura said...

It is our nature to want what we don't have...and yet it is possible to cultivate satisfaction for things exactly the way they are. I think this is what you are noticing, Yes? Well, it is what I am paying attention to this Winter. I see so many photos posted now of spring in other climates and while I enjoy seeing the shoots and blossoms, I'm really content with the snow covered earth and muted colors. I have not always felt this way. This year is just different. I'm glad you were able to get out and have fun Sharon:) Happy Valentine's Day!

Helen said...

“Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance. Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence. Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.”
~ Yoko Ono

Truly each season holds its own blessing. Hopefully the frequent winter storms are nearing an end for this season.

Happy Valentine's Day!

teri said...

"Now I feel I can settle down and get caught up with myself." Oh yes those words are perfect.

Cynthia said...

I have loved the change this year, not having to go out to work in this weather. And I keep forgetting to say I love your profile picture! You and some other silver-haired friends have inspired me to grow out my tinted hair. It's just starting to come in silver and it's exciting!